Tuesday, April 19, 2011

New Dining Room Table

I'm sure you can guess the highlight of my day based on the title of this post. Yesterday I moved my kitchen table and chairs out of the dining room to make way for my dining room table! Well today it settled into its new home and I couldn't be happier! (On top of that, the new light fixture was installed! EEK!)

Table and new light fixture

View from the kitchen

Now this dining room table and I have a history. It was originally my parents dining room table and the one I remember using for all the holidays growing up. The fact that it is now living in my house is just even cooler for me! I can't wait to have an occasion to have people over and use it!

As soon as I bought my house my parents asked if I wanted it because we've had a new dining room table for years now and hadn't really been using this one. I jumped on the opportunity because I love recycling/reusing/re-purposing furniture. Not only does it mesh well with my Earth Chick-ness but I love furnishing my house with things that have a sentimental value to me. I also think that older things are made better, last longer, and have a TON of character. I'm sure as time goes on I will point out more things in my house that have been passed down to me. Another perk is that they sometimes also provide me with a project... ;)

In the case of my table that project will be reupholstering the chairs. I couldn't really tell you what the current fabric looks like other than to say it appears to be a cream base with some green and gold in it. After Easter I plan to visit one of my all time favorite stores (read between the lines: dangerous for me to shop in) Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts to poke around and get some inspiration. I'm also hoping to sew a runner for the table to give it a little extra pop/wow.

Current fabric (I decided to snap a shot)

In addition to all those other goodies for the day, as soon as the table was all in place I was about to say how now I need to find something to put on the table to decorate it when I remembered that ages ago I bought a 3 piece vase set thing. Well for the past few months it has been hanging out (still in the box!) on my book shelves in the living room so I promptly ran and grabbed it and stuck the box on the table. I can't wait to take them out of the box and do something creative with them. My table looks perfect, is in place, AND I didn't need to buy anything new to decorate it (such as candle sticks or a centerpiece). That rocks!

Special thanks to Dad and Uncle Bob for making the trip to bring it up to me and installing my light fixture (got it working on the FIRST try - way to go Dad)!

After that was all done I grabbed a quick dinner of leftover chili, threw in a load of laundry, made some popcorn and watched a movie on TV while putzing around online. That reminds me - quick recap of last night:

The Palace Theatre, after the show

IT. WAS. AWESOME! As soon as I got there I went up to the concession stand and bought myself a thing of popcorn (I had been thinking about it all day!!) and at the last minute decided to get some sour patch kids. My grand total: $4. So between the movie ($5) and my snacks/dinner - I spent a whopping $9. Can't beat it! The second I walked into the theatre I was in awe. I have been there before but to go to watch a movie was incredible. It is beautiful inside and made me wish all movie theaters were still like this. I think the surroundings just made the movie even more amazing for me. I'll have to hit up their next movie night. The movie itself was terrific and it struck a chord with me so much more now that I'm older. All in all it was a great, albeit late, night and I'm really happy I went.

What kinds of projects do you like to do? (If any at all)

No comments:

Post a Comment